1.18.2009

#9. Absolutely Zero

I'm going to try out this thing called being philosophical on occasion. See if I'm good at it. If I can pull it off and still manage to ensue hilarity. I hope you enjoy this, and if you don't, please fight the urge to stone me with Skittles.

So on Sunday, in STFL (Student Theological Foundations for Leaders, in case you didn't know) we were talking about how God is outside of time and whatnot. Which is weird, but cool, albeit confusing. So I turned on the "what should I write in my blog" portion of my brain and began thinking of a logical reason for God being outside of time, besides the obvious, "He's God so He can do whatever He wants." and the, "He's eternal." No really? Really. But everyone knew that. Really.

So I started thinking about the definition of time. Basically time is defined as linear. And time can only happen when atoms are in motion, as in vibrating and bouncing off of each other. Absolute zero is defined as the temperature at which atoms stop moving completely. Therefore when something reaches absolute zero, time no longer exists for said object.

Although God is not an object, made up of atoms and molecules, and temperature does not apply to God, I think if a physical object could theoretically be ushered into His presence, then by being in the presence of God, it would freeze the object to absolute zero, and this object would cease to exist inside of time.

I would write more, but being philosophical is not something I do naturally, and I think I might explode.
Speaking of explode, atoms will explode at absolute zero, and therefore cease to exist at all.

4 comments:

ARamsey said...

Dictionary.com-->Time: "the system of those sequential relations that any event has to any other, as past, present, or future; indefinite and continuous duration regarded as that in which events succeed one another"

If we use the actual definition of time, your whole philosophical thought kinda crumbles...but i like the idea behind it. XD

Anonymous said...

It's awesome that you're trying to work this through. Looking at ARamsey's comment, if you strictly use the definition of time as a 'sequence of events' then yeah, time applies to God. He did one thing, then another. But more importantly, God is eternal. There is no end or beginning of his existence. That's not something we're made to understand as finite creatures. It gives you a funny feeling in your head to think about it! There's always a beginning and end to time, but not to God. That's what it means for God to be outside of time. That means God isn't surprised by future events on earth, he's already there!

KC said...

hehe thanks alec :P
i love how you always can debate stuff its pretty awesome

yes, matt, my head does feel quite funny
exploding sort of funny :D

Haagen-dazs said...

well, even if the thought crumbles it still counts for me..ive never thought about god/heaven in a physics kind of way like that.

in my holy opinion if something is eternal then time doesn't apply to it.
-Drew